FAQ Topics

About EMS Safety

1. Is EMS Safety nationally recognized?

Yes, EMS Safety is a nationally recognized program. We have more than 260 approvals from federal, state, local and private agencies in all 50 states and U.S. territories.

2. Is EMS Safety equivalent to the American Heart Association and American Red Cross?

Yes, EMS Safety is an equivalent program to the American Heart Association and American Red Cross. We follow the same guidelines set forth by the 2015 International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation (ILCOR).

3. Does EMS Safety offer online courses?

No, EMS Safety does not offer online courses for certification. EMS Safety Instructors teach their courses in a live classroom setting, maximizing student retention through hands-on practice and testing.

Instructor Course

1. What should I wear?

Dress comfortably. You will be moving around the room during skills practice and testing.

2. What materials do I receive in the course?

You will receive your Instructor Manual, DVD, Sample Student Workbooks, pen and student training kit (CPR practice barrier, disposable gloves, gauze and triangular bandage).

3. What do I need to bring?

Unless otherwise specified, you are not required to bring anything additional to your class. You may bring a notepad or take notes directly in your Instructor Manual.

4. What happens if I’m late?

Please make every effort to arrive on time. Depending on the circumstances and how late you arrive, you may be able to make up missed time with the Instructor Trainer (IT). You are provided with the IT’s cell phone number. Please maintain communication if you are not on time. If you are 30 minutes or later, you will not be admitted and will have to attend a class at a later date.

5. What happens if I don’t pass the class?

It is our objective to train and certify successful instructors, and sometimes that takes more than one training session to accomplish. Your IT will discuss the areas that need additional training before you leave class. In the week following the class, a representative from EMS Safety will contact you with additional training options

6. What is the most common reason that candidates don’t pass the class the first time?

The most common obstacle is a deficiency in basic CPR and First Aid skills. This happens for a variety of reasons. It is difficult to retain information we learn about only once every two years, especially if we don’t work in an environment where we practice our skills on the job. Perhaps your last CPR instructor didn’t afford you enough time to practice on a manikin or taught you incorrect or outdated techniques. In your EMS Safety Instructor Course, you will be provided with ample hands-on time to bring your skills up to par. However, it is important you come prepared.

Grandfather Process

1. I am a CPR, AED and First Aid Instructor with another nationally recognized program. How do I join EMS Safety as an Instructor?

EMS Safety understands the program you teach is only a vehicle—it’s the instructor who determines the quality of the class itself. We respect the efforts that other programs do when they train their instructors, and as long as you have adequate knowledge and have current teaching credentials, we’re happy to support you through the EMS Safety program.

We encourage all grandfather Instructors to sit in and observe one of our many Instructor Courses across the country, free of charge. Though not required, it is highly beneficial, provides helpful refresher training, and is a great introduction to our training materials! View our course schedule here.

2. How long does it take to complete the grandfather process?

To grandfather in you will need to complete the registration form, provide a copy of your current CPR Instructor certification and complete the Grandfather Video Series (approximately 30 min). Click here for more information on the Grandfather Process. Registration forms are reviewed within one business day, and complete processing is completed within 10 business days. However, we strive to provide new Instructors with access to their Instructor Portal and digital Instructor card within a few days.

3. Can I grandfather into the program if my Instructor certification has expired with another program?

EMS Safety understands that life happens, and we’re happy to extend a 30-day grace period (subject to approval) to accommodate Instructors who were not able to renew on time.

4. Is there a fee for grandfathering?

No, there is not a fee. However, there is a material cost for the Instructor Kit(s) associated with the program(s) you choose to teach.

New Instructor Questions

1. How do I get a copy of my Instructor certification card?

EMS Safety issues a digital Instructor card to all Instructors. The digital card is found in your Instructor Portal and can be accessed and printed by you at any time. A physical card can be purchased separately for $10 at www.emssafetyservices.com or at 1-800-215-9555.

2. How long will it take to receive access to my Instructor Portal and Instructor card?

New Instructors will gain access to their Instructor Portal and digital Instructor card within 2 weeks of successfully completing the Instructor Course or grandfather process.

3. How do I access my Instructor Portal?

After your Instructor paperwork has been processed, you will receive a “Welcome” email directly from EMS Safety that includes your username and instructions for logging into your Instructor Portal. Your username is the primary email address you provided to EMS Safety when you registered as a new instructor. You must contact EMS Safety directly to update your email address.

4. What materials are needed to instruct a class?

Each student must have access to a student workbook during the class. Following course completion, the instructor must issue each student a certification card within 14 days. (Instructor Manual: Admin, Page 7 and 13)

5. How do I purchase workbooks and certification cards for my students?

Student workbooks and certification cards are purchased directly from EMS Safety in packs of 4. You can place an order at www.emssafetyservices.com or at 1-800-215-9555. (Instructor Manual: Admin, Page 17)

6. Can I purchase only certification cards?

Student workbooks and certification cards are sold together. This allows EMS Safety to ensure each student is receiving the required student workbook for each class. Contact your Account Specialist if you have further questions.

7. What is the difference between physical cards and digital cards?

The Instructor chooses to issue either physical or digital cards. Physical cards are shipped with your student workbooks and are filled out by hand or electronically using the EMS Safety card template. Digital cards are issued directly through your Instructor Portal using a digital roster. Students are required to have a unique email address in order to receive a digital card. If the student is unable or unwilling to provide a unique email address, you must issue the student a physical card. The Instructor may issue a combination of physical and digital cards based on the needs of the students in the class.

8. Do I receive a discount for being a new Instructor?

Yes! New Instructors receive a 10% discount for their first 30 days. You also have the opportunity to purchase a discounted Instructor package that includes everything you need to get to started teaching. Please see flyer included in your new Instructor folder.

9. How long does it take to receive my materials and supplies?

Shipping times will vary based on shipping method and location. Be sure to place your order with ample time for delivery. If you are placing an order online, EMS Safety advises you do NOT select SmartPost as delivery may take up to 10 business days.

10. Who am I certified to instruct?

As a CPR, AED and First Aid Instructor, you are certified to instruct the general public, childcare providers*, caregivers and workplace responders. If you are a BLS Instructor, you are certified to instruct healthcare providers and professional rescuers.

*In order to instruct CALIFORNIA childcare providers, you must become a California Childcare Instructor. Contact your Account Specialist for more information.

11. Do I need to submit course records to EMS Safety after each class?

You are not required to submit your rosters at the conclusion of each class. You are responsible for keeping your course records for at least 3 years. During this period, EMS Safety may request records to review for quality assurance. If a request is made, you must provide the requested records within 1 week of the request. This information can be found on page 11 of your Instructor Manual. (Instructor Manual: Admin, Page 11)

12. Are there opportunities to teach classes for EMS Safety?

Yes! EMS Safety contracts with organizations across the country to provide CPR, AED and First Aid classes. In order to teach these classes, you must become a Select Instructor, and we will pay you to teach in your area. In addition, high-quality instructors have the opportunity to become a Mentor Instructor and Instructor Trainer. These credentials will allow you to train new Instructors, and we will pay you to teach our Instructor Courses near you! Contact your Account Specialist for more information.

Select Instructor Requirements – Must be an EMS Safety Instructor in good standing, have training manikins and AED training units and pass a Select Instructor Exam

Mentor Instructor Requirements – Must be an EMS Safety Instructor in good standing, submit copies of course rosters showing you have taught at least two (2) CPR/AED/First Aid courses using EMS Safety program.

Instructor Trainer Requirements – Must be an EMS Safety Instructor in good standing, submit copies of course rosters showing you have certified at least 50 students using EMS Safety program, submit 2 recorded videos of yourself giving a lecture and skill demonstration, complete series of online Instructor Trainer videos and knowledge checks, and pass Instructor Trainer Exam.

Course Administration

1. What is the maximum course ratio?

Instructors must maintain a ratio of no more than 1 Instructor to 12 students (1:12) for CPR/AED courses and 1:20 for First Aid only classes. Training in Bloodborne Pathogens awareness does not have a recommended or maximum ratio.

2. Can I co-teach with an assisting Instructor?

To train more than 12 students for CPR/AED, you will need to add an assisting EMS Safety Instructor and an additional roster. With an assisting instructor, you may teach up to 24 students together.

3. What is the minimum age that a person can become certified in CPR, AED and First Aid?

There are no prerequisites or minimum age to take a provider training course. If your students participate in the course and demonstrate proficiency in the required skills, they should be issued certification cards.

4. Am I required to show the EMS Safety DVD?

Yes, the EMS Safety course videos must be shown in every EMS Safety course. You can choose to use the DVD, stream the videos via the Instructor Portal, download the video chapters directly to your laptop or us the PowerPoint that has the videos directly embedded into the presentation.

5. Am I required to provide EMS Safety student workbooks to the class?

Yes, each student must have an EMS Safety workbook available to use during the course and as a reference for the next 2 years. The workbook should correspond to the training and certification provided.

6. What is the recommended course duration for each course?

The course length will vary according to class size, interaction and the client’s needs. Course length will also vary depending on whether optional topics are taught.

Course Title Approximate Hours
CPR, AED and First Aid 6.5-7 hours
CPR and AED 3.5 hours
First Aid 3-3.5 hours
CPR, AED and First Aid for Childcare Providers 7-8 hours (California Childcare requires 8 hours)
BLS for the Professional Rescuer 4-6 hours
Bloodborne Pathogens 1-2 hours
Emergency Oxygen Administration 1-1.5 hours


7. How many days do I have to issue the student certification cards?

You have up to two weeks after the course to issue certification cards.

8. What should I do if a student has a disability or injury that prevents them from demonstrating a skill?

Each instructor uses their own discretion to determine if a student will be able to respond effectively during an emergency situation. The required skills can be performed with modifications. Modifications and expectations should be discussed with the student prior to class.

9. Am I required to use the Skills Sheets?

For Community Rescuer, the Skills Summary Sheet and individual Skill Sheets are optional tools. They are a resource for Instructor to use to help keep track of each student’s performance and to ensure the steps of each skill are being performed in order. If you choose to use the Skills Sheets, you should retain them as part of your course records.

For BLS, the Adult CPR/AED and Infant CPR individual Skill Sheets are required and must be retained as part of your course records.

10. Am I required to administer the written exam?

For Community Rescuer, the written exam is optional unless required by workplace or regulatory agency. With the most recent ILCOR guideline changes, written exams are no longer required for Community Rescuer certification as the emphasis and importance is placed on skills practice and skills testing.

For BLS, the written exam is required. Students must pass with 80% or higher.

If a written exam is given, you should retain the Written Exam Answer Sheets as part of your course records. Written exams and answer keys are located in the back of the Instructor Manual and in the Resource Library of the Instructor Portal.

11. Am I required to submit course records to EMS Safety?

EMS Safety does not require Instructors to submit course records (ex: rosters, skills summary sheets, course evaluations and exam sheets) at the conclusion of each class. You are responsible for keeping your course records for at least 3 years. During this period, EMS Safety may request records to review for quality assurance. If a request is made, you must provide the requested records within 1 week of the request.

12. Can I provide a shortened recertification course?

Yes. To qualify for a recertification course, the student must possess a current provider card from EMS Safety or an equivalent organization. A student with an expired certification is not eligible for a recertification course. Please view page 12 of the Instructor Manual for more details.

13. How long is the student’s certification card valid?

The student should be issued a certification card for 2-year period, beginning the date of the course.

14. How do I replace a lost, damaged, misprinted or misspelled certification card?

Replacement cards can only be issued by the Instructor listed on the Course Roster. Instructors may charge a reasonable fee to replace a card. Please contact EMS Safety directly for more details.

15. How do I print a roster for my upcoming course?

There are several ways to print a roster prior to your upcoming class: make a copy of the roster from the back of your Instructor Manual, print a physical roster from your Instructor Portal Resource Library, or print a digital roster from an established class in your Instructor Portal.

16. Does EMS Safety offer Spanish materials?

Yes, EMS Safety offers Spanish student workbooks and certification cards.


1. How do I recertify as an Instructor?

Your Instructor certification is valid for two years. To recertify, you must submit 2 rosters from classes taught in the last 2 years or take the recertification exam. In addition, there is a $20 recertification pay.

2. Can I recertify if my Instructor certification has expired?

EMS Safety offers a 3-month grace period to account for those unexpected life obstacles. Please contact EMS Safety directly if your Instructor certification is more than 30 days expired.

3. Will I receive a new Instructor card when I recertify?

EMS Safety issues a digital Instructor card to all Instructors. The digital card is found in your Instructor Portal and can be accessed and printed by you at any time. A physical card can be purchased separately for $10 at www.emssafety.com or at 1-800-215-9555.

4. Will I need to take a CPR, AED and First Aid provider recertification course if my Instructor certification isn’t expired?

For EMS Safety purposes, your Instructor certification encompasses your provider level certification. As long as your Instructor card remains valid, we will not require you to take an additional provider course.

For licensing and workplace purposes, you may need to renew your provider certification. We recommend contacting your licensing agency or workplace to verify their requirements.

Instructor Portal

1. What is the rating scale in my Instructor Portal?

Students entered into a digital roster may complete a brief online survey after their class. The stars represent a rating scale of 1-5 with five being the highest. Your rating directly reflects their feedback. In addition, the number in parenthesis reflects how many students have submitted a survey on your behalf.

2. What can I do if my Instructor card is printing smaller than desired?

When printing your Instructor card, be sure to change your printer options to landscape instead of portrait. This will allow the card to print approximately wallet-sized.

You can also right click on the image of your Instructor card and save the image locally. Insert the image into Word and manipulate the card size by dragging the corners. You can make it as large or small as desired.

3. Can I issue all digital certification cards to one email address?

No, a unique email address is required for each student in order to issue digital certification cards. The digital certification card is directly tied to their individual Student Portal, allowing each student to access their card and additional student resources for the next 2 years.

If your client requests that all digital certification cards be sent to one person, please let them know a unique email is required for each student; however, as the Instructor, you will have access to copies of each student’s digital certification card and can choose to forward those copies to that one person.

3. How do I print student certification cards from my Instructor Portal?

You can complete your certification cards using the card printing template located in your Resource Library within your Instructor Portal. Always print a test page with the exact same settings selected for the actual print. Each printer is different, so it may take a few attempts to find the correct settings. Determine which direction your printer feeds the paper. Select the thickest paper type option your printer has available. Print at the “highest” or “best” quality if available. Hold your test print above the sheet of cards with light behind both sheets to ensure proper alignment.

4. Can I enter digital rosters for the classes I teach as a Select Instructor?

Yes, you can enter student information from courses you taught as a Select Instructor. However, please do not enter their email addresses when you enter the student’s information to prevent the Course Completion email from being sent as this can cause confusion. Only enter their name and physical card control number. Alternatively, you can upload copies of your physical rosters for easy recordkeeping.

5. How do I change whether I am included in the EMS Safety “Find an Instructor Search”?

You can choose to be included in our “Find an Instructor Search” feature by editing “My Profile” in your Instructor Portal.

Select Instructor

1. What is a Select Instructor?

EMS Safety contracts with experienced, high-quality Select Instructors to teach CPR, AED and First Aid courses through our Corporate Care program.

2. What is the Corporate Care program?

EMS Safety’s Corporate Care program is a cost-effective, turnkey certification course for employers and organizations the country.

3. How do I become a Select Instructor?

To become a Select Instructor, you must successfully pass a Select Instructor Exam. Click here for more details about becoming a Select Instructor.

4. What equipment do I need to teach EMS Safety Instructor Courses?

You must have access to a laptop with PowerPoint 2013 or newer. We will ship materials (ex: student workbooks and certification cards) to location. However, Select Instructors must have their own training manikins and AED training units.

5. What compensation is provided?

Select Instructors are compensated with a set rate for the contracted provider course. Any additional pre-approved expenses (ex: gas mileage) are reimbursed after course paperwork is submitted.

Mentor Instructor Program

1. What is the Mentor program?

The Mentor program provides an alternative to the traditional 16-hour Instructor Course, allowing an individual to become a certified Instructor based on his or her experience co-teaching in the classroom with a certified Mentor Instructor. Click here for more details about the Mentor program.

2. How do I become a certified Mentor Instructor?

To become a Mentor Instructor, you must submit copies of course rosters showing you have taught at least 2 CPR/AED/First Aid courses using the EMS Safety curriculum. If you have not taught combination courses, you must submit 2 CPR/AED and 2 First Aid course rosters. You must also complete a series of online videos and knowledge checks.

3. Do I need to teach full classes of 12 students to become a Mentor Instructor?

EMS Safety encourages Instructors to gain as much experience as possible before becoming a Mentor in order to best serve your Trainees.

4. What happens after becoming a Mentor Instructor?

Mentor Instructors are eligible to purchase the Mentor Kit which includes a detailed Mentor TaskBook. The Mentor TaskBook must be completed throughout the mentorship, including co-teaching 3 provider courses and formally evaluating the Trainee’s lectures and skills demonstrations. Click here to view a sample Mentor TaskBook.

Instructor Trainer Program

1. What is an Instructor Trainer?

EMS Safety Instructor Trainers (IT) lead our 16-hour Instructor Courses that train our independent Instructors across the country.

2. How do I become an Instructor Trainer?

To become an IT, you must submit rosters showing you have certified at least 50 students using the EMS Safety curriculum, complete a series of online videos and knowledge checks, and submit 2 recorded videos of yourself. Click here to learn more about the Instructor Trainer process.

3. What equipment do I need to teach EMS Safety Instructor Courses?

You must have access to a laptop with PowerPoint 2013 or newer. We will ship any needed equipment and materials to location. However, we recommend ITs have their own training manikins and AED trainers.

4. What compensation is provided?

EMS Safety contracts with ITs to teach our Instructor Courses. ITs are compensated with a set rate for the 16-hour course. We will also take care of hotel and travel arrangements. Any additional pre-approved expenses (ex: gas mileage) are reimbursed after course paperwork is submitted.

Business Practices

1. Do I need to purchase liability insurance?

We encourage EMS Safety Instructors to obtain professional liability insurance. Each Instructor determines whether liability insurance is right for their business and where to gain coverage. EMS Safety has partnered with Lockton Affinity to make Lockton Health Professional Liability Insurance available at competitive rates.

2. Do I need a business license to teach courses?

EMS Safety does not require instructors to obtain a business license. We recommend you visit your local city or county hall to determine if a business license is required in your area.


1. Under the Good Samaritan Law, what happens if a person refuses care?

If a responsive person refuses help, you should observe from a distance, call 911 if needed and wait for help to arrive. If the person becomes unresponsive, this is considered a change in condition and consent is implied.

2. Where can I find information about the Good Samaritan Law, AED laws and other requirements in my state?

Legislation constantly changes, so it’s important Instructors do their research to stay up to date on new requirements. Reliable resources include OSHA-approved state plans and AED brands state legislation.


1. Can a student be certified in CPR with compression-only CPR?

No, students must demonstrate proficiency in CPR skills, including 30 compressions to 2 breaths, in order to become certified in CPR. Our curriculum is based on the most current guidelines provided by the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation (ILCOR) which supports compressions with breaths for the best outcome.

Compression-only CPR is also taught in our curriculum as an alternative when a breathing barrier is unavailable to protect the rescuer and victim, if substantial injury has occurred to the patients jaw or mouth, if the rescuer is unwilling to provide rescue breaths, or if the rescuer is untrained to give rescue breaths.

2. Why might a victim gasp during cardiac arrest?

A progressive lack of oxygen in the brain during cardiac arrest frequently causes agonal respirations which we describe as gasping. Although gasping provides limited amounts of oxygen for a short period of time, it can make identifying cardiac arrest more difficult for lay rescuers, often delaying CPR. We always teach, “Gasping is not breathing”.

3. Is infant CPR performed in the same position as infant choking?

No, infant CPR should be performed on a firm, flat surface in order to achieve quality compressions which are critical to the effectiveness of CPR. Infant choking is performed by holding the infant on your forearm and providing a sequence of 5 chest thrusts, followed by 5 back slaps.

4. Can infant CPR be performed with modified finger placement if it is too difficult to use the index and middle finger?

For Community Rescuer, students must demonstrate proficiency in Infant CPR using the 2-finger technique. A student that experiences discomfort can modify by using the opposite hand to support their index and middle fingers to help prevent them from bending. Note, the opposite hand is not used to help push down, only to help stabilize.

For BLS for the Professional Rescuer, a 2 thumb-encircling hands technique is acceptable.

5. Why do gloves need to be worn when preforming CPR?

Rescuers should always wear personal protective equipment (PPE), including gloves, when rendering aid in order to protect themselves from transmission of bloodborne pathogens.


1. Can I use an AED on a pregnant victim?

Bystanders should not hesitate or delay in delivering a shock to a pregnant victim when prompted by the AED. An AED shock would be expected to pass minimal energy to the fetus and is considered safe in all stages of pregnancy. The fetus will likely not survive if the mother does not receive this necessary life-saving measure.

2. Do I need to remove a female victim’s bra when using the AED?

Clothing should be removed in order to use the AED on bare skin. Cut the bra before applying AED pads. You may attempt to remove the rest of the bra; however, do not spend more than 10 seconds attempting to remove it.

3. Is it safe to use an AED in wet conditions?

Rain, snow or small amounts of water will not interfere with safe AED use when safety precautions are followed. If the victim is lying in water, move him to a drier area before using the AED as a shock to a person in water could harm rescuers or bystanders. Make sure the rescuers and bystanders are not standing in water during AED use.

4. Where do I place the AED pads on a child or infant if pediatric pads are not available?

If pediatric pads or equipment are not available, use adult pads with front-back pad placement for both child and infant. AEDs are now biphasic, so it does not matter which pad you place on the front versus the back.

5. Why is AED pad placement different for adults?

The front-back pad placement is the ideal location for adults, children and infants. However, it’s typically not possible to achieve the back pad placement for an adult due to the general size of an adult. Therefore, we place the pads on an adult in the upper right side of the chest and the lower left side of the chest.

First Aid

1. Can I add epinephrine auto-injects, inhalers and medication to my workplace first aid kit?

Workplace first aid kits should not include prescription medications, such as epinephrine auto-injectors and asthma inhalers. It is the employee’s responsibility to carry these medications and/or make the workplace and fellow employees aware of their location, if the employee desires. The employer may choose to include non-prescription medications, such as antihistamines or pain relievers, in addition the to the first aid kit with the intent that the employee would self-administer the medication.

2. What should I do with a knocked-out tooth if a container isn’t available to carry the tooth?

When a permanent tooth is knocked out, the sooner it is reinserted, the more likely it can be saved. This includes reinserting the tooth yourself. There is roughly a 30-minute window for reinsertion for the best outcome. If this isn’t possible, use a water bottle or any other supplies that might function as a container to help preserve the tooth using the person’s own saliva. Always consult a dentist as soon as possible.

CPR, AED and First Aid for Childcare Providers

1. How is the Childcare Provider course different from the Community Rescuer course?

The Childcare Provider course is an in-depth CPR, AED and First Aid course for those who work with children on a regular basis. This course is intended for childcare providers, teachers, coaches and parents. Additional childcare specific topics include: Dehydration, Drowning, Maltreatment of Children, and Indoor and Playground Safety.

2. Am I qualified to teach the Childcare Provider course?

EMS Safety Instructors outside the state of California are qualified to teach the CPR, AED and First Aid for Childcare Provider course. Simply purchase the Childcare Provider student workbooks and certification cards and begin teaching. Contact your Account Specialist for discounted pricing on our Childcare Provider Instructor Manual.

California Childcare (EMSA)

EMS Safety’s California EMSA Childcare approval will expire on May 31, 2019. Click here for more information.

1. I live and/or teach in California. Am I qualified to teach the Childcare Provider course?

The EMS Safety Childcare Provider course is approved by the California Emergency Medical Services Authority (EMSA). California EMSA requires Instructors to complete additional steps in order to become credentialed to certify licensed childcare providers. Click here for more details about becoming a California Childcare Instructor.

2.What is the California EMSA?

The California EMSA sets the standards for training of various levels of EMS personnel for the state. In addition, the California EMSA reviews and approves training programs for licensed childcare providers and school bus drivers. Click here to learn more about the California EMSA.

3. Who is considered a childcare provider by the California EMSA?

The California EMSA regulates and monitors licensed childcare facilities. To ensure your student receives the correct course and certification, they will need to determine if they are employed by a licensed childcare facility or if their employer requires an EMSA approved childcare provider certification. This may include daycare facilities and elementary school staff.

Parents and babysitters do not fall within the California EMSA requirements. However, they can benefit from taking the childcare provider course as the course is tailored to childcare specific scenarios.

4. Is the written exam required for California childcare providers?

The written exam is optional unless required by workplace or regulatory agency.

5. What additional requirements does the California EMSA require of Childcare Instructors?

California Childcare Instructors are required to purchase EMSA stickers and affix them to each childcare provider certification. EMSA stickers are purchased using the EMSA order form and can be mailed or faxed directly to EMSA. EMS Safety does not sell EMSA stickers.

EMSA also requires California Childcare Instructors to submit EMSA rosters directly to them within 30 days of course completion. The EMSA roster must include EMSA sticker numbers. Please do not submit EMSA rosters to EMS Safety unless it is for recertification purposes.

6. How much do EMSA stickers cost and how do I pay for them?

EMSA stickers cost $3 for each CPR and $3 for each First Aid sticker. This is an EMSA fee, not an EMS Safety fee. Payment can be made directly to EMSA via a check or credit card. EMSA states orders are normally processed with 1-3 business days and delivery may take 10 business days. However, there is no guarantee, so be sure to place your order with plenty of time for delivery.

7. Why aren’t American Heart Association or American Red Cross certifications required to have the EMSA stickers affixed or submit EMSA rosters?

The California EMSA does not require either entity to follow the same rules. However, all other CPR, AED and First Aid training programs are required to affix EMSA stickers and submit EMSA rosters.

8. Who is the EMSA contact if I need more information or guidance related to EMSA requirements?

Click here from more information or contact Mark Olivas at (916) 431-3680 or mark.olivas@emsa.ca.gov.

9. How do I become a California Childcare Instructor?

To become a California Childcare Instructor, you will need to contact us to find out how to become a MEDIC First Aid Training Center.

BLS for Professional Rescuers

1. What is the difference between the Community Rescuer and BLS for the Professional Rescuer programs?

The BLS for the Professional Rescuer course is intended for healthcare, dental and emergency response professionals. Additional BLS topics include: 1- and 2-Rescuer Techniques, Team CPR, Pre-Hospital and Hospital Scenarios, Airway Management and Ventilation Devices.

2. How do I add the BLS certification to my credentials?

To become a BLS Instructor, you must email a copy of your current healthcare provider or professional rescuer card to instructortraining@emssafety.com and purchase the BLS Instructor Add-On Kit.

Bloodborne Pathogens

1. Where are the videos and materials for Bloodborne Pathogens (BBP) located?

The BBP video and additional resources are located in your Resource Library within your Instructor Portal. You must teach the required BBP topics and skills and administer the BBP exam. To certify students in Bloodborne Pathogens, you must purchase BBP workbooks and certification cards online or over the phone at 1-800-215-9555.

Emergency Oxygen Administration

1. Am I qualified to teach Emergency Oxygen Administration?

EMS Safety BLS Instructors are qualified to teach the Emergency Oxygen Administration course. The course may be taught as a component of the BLS course or as a stand-alone course.

2. What Instructor and student materials do I need to teach Emergency Oxygen Administration?

The Emergency Oxygen Administration Student Workbook is available for printing in the Instructor Portal. Each student must have access to a copy during the course. Instructors must use the Emergency Oxygen Administration video and additional resources located in the Instructor Portal.

If you are teaching Emergency Oxygen Administration as a stand-alone course, contact EMS Safety directly to purchase digital Emergency Oxygen Administration certification cards. If you are teaching it as a component of the BLS course, you do not need to purchase additional certification cards as it is already included as a topic for certification on the BLS card.


1. What are Continuing Education Units (CEUs)?

CEUs are a measure used to assist professionals in maintaining their license. Each profession requires its own number of units per renewal.

2. Who needs CEUs?

Many professions require CEUs including doctors, nurses, EMTs, dental assistants, dental hygienists and engineers.

3. What courses are CEUs available for?

The Academy of General Dentistry (AGD) offers CEUs to dental professional for our First Aid, Bloodborne Pathogens, Emergency Oxygen Administration, CPR/AED, and BLS for Professional Rescuers. The hours issued vary based on the length of the course.

Note, the student’s licensing board determines whether to accept BLS CEUs for licensing and renewal. Have your student verify CEUs are accepted for the BLS course by their licensing board.

4. Can I earn CEUs for the Instructor Course?

No, currently you are not able to earn CEUs from the Instructor course.

5. Can an Instructor receive CEUs for teaching a BLS class?

No, you must participate as a student to qualify for CEUs.

6. How do I issue CEUs?

The Instructor will submit either an AGD CEU packet to EMS Safety after teaching the course. Click here for more information on how to issue CEUs. There is a $3 fee for each certificate.

7. How long will it take to receive the certificate?

The Instructor will receive the certificates via email within 2 weeks of receipt of required documents. The Instructor will print and sign the certificates and issue them directly to the students. Students will need to submit their certificates to their state licensing board to receive credit.

Coast Guard Approval

1. Do I have to issue the USCG Course Completion Certificate even if the student “just needs a card”?

Yes, the only way to document the course is a USCG-approved CPR and First Aid training is with the course completion card and the USCG Course Completion Certificate. There are no exceptions.

2. Can I create my own USCG Course Completion Certificate?

No, the USCG requires EMS Safety to have a site approval on file and maintain course records for every USCG course. USCG Course Completion Certificates are only issues from EMS Safety to the Instructor.

3. Is AED training required?

No, AED training is optional. At this time, the USCG only requires CPR and First Aid training. EMS Safety requires AED training when an AED is part of the ship’s response protocol.

4. How long does the course need to be?

The course duration is required to be 8 hours.

5. Is a written exam required?

Yes, the exam answer sheet is required as part of the USCG required course documents.

Dental Approvals

1. Are AGD/PACE courses approved programs in every state?

Most states accept continuing education from approved AGD/PACE providers but you’ll need to contact your state dental board to be sure. Click here for interactive map with each state’s dental board listing.

2. What emergency response courses are dental providers required to take?

It varies, but in most states licensed or registered dental providers are required to maintain CPR/AED and Bloodborne Pathogens training. While courses like First Aid or Emergency Oxygen Administration may not be required, dental providers may receive continuing education for them. Contact your state dental board to know for sure.

3. Should I teach the Professional or the Community CPR/AED course?

Each state has its own unique requirements. For instance, in California a dentist or registered hygienist is required to maintain CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers certification, while a registered dental assistant requires CPR/AED for Community Rescuers (adult only).Only your state dental board will know for sure what CPR/AED course is appropriate for each type of licensed or registered dental provider.

4. Are there other courses besides CPR/AED that dental providers are required to take?

Dental providers are required to continue their education in order to renew their license. Therefore, there are many different types of courses offered to dental providers. The following EMS Safety courses fall under the AGD/PACE category 142-Medical Emergency Training:

    • BLS for Healthcare Providers
    • CPR/AED for Community Rescuers
    • Basic First Aid
    • Emergency Oxygen Administration
    • Bloodborne Pathogens Training (BBP is part of category 148-Infectious Disease)


5. Can we teach a recertification course?

For dental continuing education, all EMS Safety CPR/AED or Basic First Aid courses must be at least four hours to match the contacted hours listed on the roster. While a recert course will meet the requirements for CPR/AED or Basic First Aid certification, the course hours will not meet the requirements for continuing education.

6. Do I need a special program to use the forms?

The forms are PDF documents; they can be completed on your computer or printed out and filled in by hand. To use PDF forms, EMS Safety recommends Adobe Acrobat Reader. Free versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader can be downloaded here. A word to the wise, type in the instructor name, instructor number, course date, location and course type (drop down) on the first page of the packet and it will populate that information throughout the packet.

7. Does the dental provider need to be a member of AGD to receive CEU?

No, non-members may receive CEU for AGD/PACE approved courses. Being an AGD member has additional benefits, such as CE management and tracking. Dental providers can contact AGD for more information on becoming an AGD member.

8. Is there a cost for the PACE Course Verification Form (CEU Certificate)?

Yes, the PACE Course Verification Forms are $3.00 each.

9. How many hours of CEU is each course worth?

– CPR/AED (Pro or Community) = 4 hours, must be full course

– Basic First Aid = 4 hours, must be full course

– Bloodborne Pathogens = 1 hour

G2015 Guidelines

1. Why do guidelines change every 5 years?

The International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation (ILCOR) and International First Aid Science Advisory Board release new guidelines every 5 years based on the latest resuscitation and first aid science. New guidelines will increase the survival of Sudden Cardiac Arrest and reduce morbidity and mortality associated with medical and traumatic emergencies.

2. Am I required to update teaching materials?

Yes, all EMS Safety Instructors are required to update their teaching materials to the G2015 Instructor Kits.

3. What’s a PAD program?

PAD stands for Public Assess Defibrillation. A PAD program is typically a city, community or workplace-driven initiative that places AEDs in publicly accessible areas. PAD programs include funding, marketing, training, and medical oversite. The guidelines recognize that PAD programs can increase survival of sudden cardiac arrest.

4. What is a “compression fraction”?

Compression fraction is the percentage of time giving chest compressions during CPR.

5. I’m surprised the target for compression fraction is 60%. Is it because patient packaging is also included?

Patient packaging (preparing a patient for transport) is part of the emergency medical services response to cardiac arrest. While 60% is the minimum target for compression fraction, it is recognized that good team CPR can achieve at least 80%.

6. Isn’t it easier to say “remove hands between compressions” rather than “don’t lean on victim”?

The 2015 guidelines recommend changing the term ‘full recoil’ to ‘avoid leaning on the chest.’ Rescuers should not be instructed to remove their hands between compressions, just their weight. Removing the hands creates a ‘bouncing’ effect, which reduces the effectiveness of chest compressions and increases the possibility of CPR-related injuries.

7. For repeat epi-pen use, should the 2nd injection be on the other thigh or same one initially injected?

If possible use the other thigh. If the other thigh is not accessible, use the initial thigh but attempt a slightly different location.

8. If the victim is having airway problems and breathing difficulty, do lay providers still need to refrain from a 2nd injection if EMS will arrive within 5 minutes? Couldn’t the victim die in that timeframe?

The 2015 guidelines allow for a second dose if the patient is not improving or getting worse and EMS is more than five to ten minutes away. Literature reviewed in the G2015 update suggests that a second dose may be given 10 – 15 minutes after the initial dose, but this may be left up to EMS to decide. Remember to ensure that 9-1-1 has been called, and follow the advice of the emergency dispatcher for an earlier injection.

9. Is there any concern for allergy to honey when used as a topical for burns?

Generally, not when used as a topical ointment for the treatment of minor burns to prevent infection. However, people who are allergic to bee stings may have a reaction to honey. Anytime a ‘medication’ is provided, rescuers should ask if the person is allergic to the medicine. When possible, contact a medical authority for clarification.

10. Is there any mention that honey should not be administered to children under 1 year?

There is no mention when honey is used as a burn dressing. In infants is there a known risk for Botulism when honey is ingested. When used as a dressing on a burn wound, there is no reported case of secondary Botulism.

11. Can burn gel be used for burns?

The marketplace does offer burn gels and burn dressings. 2015 recommendations indicate the best initial treatment of burns is cooling them with potable water or a cool/cold (but not freezing) compress. After cooling, a dry, sterile (preferably non-stick) dressing is recommended until the wound is evaluated by a medical professional. The use of burn gels/burn dressings is not covered in the 2015 guidelines. Further study is required, since it is currently unknown what type of dressing is best for use by first aid providers. Follow local protocols where indicated.

12. How about the use of aloe to reduce the chance of infections for burns?

The use of aloe is not addressed in the 2015 guidelines. Once the burn is cooled, a triple antibiotic ointment is recommended. In remote settings, where commercially-available antibiotic ointments are not available, honey was shown to reduce infection and promote healing. Aloe may or may not have clinical benefits. Further study is required, since it is currently unknown what type of dressing is best for use by first aid providers.

13. What is the time frame for dentist if reinserted?

An avulsed tooth has the best chance of survival when re-implanted immediately. Even after the first aid provider re-implants the tooth, the person should get to the dentist as soon as possible, preferably within 30 minutes.

14. I would imagine their saliva would be pretty blood. No issue what that, correct?

Lack of protective medical gloves is one of the reasons that first aid providers may be unable to reimplant an avulsed tooth. It’s important to follow universal precautions when handling the avulsed tooth or helping to control bleeding from the socket.
A practical suggestion to reduce the amount of bloody saliva is to have the person bite down on gauze to reduce bleeding from the socket, then have the person spit into a container when the mouth is clear of most of the blood.

15. In reference to solutions that prolong the life of an avulsed tooth, what does ‘efficacy’ mean?

Efficacy refers to the overall effectiveness of the solutions used to store an avulsed tooth. Certain solutions are more effective than others. Hanks Balanced Salt solution has more efficacy than milk at prolonging the viability (survival) of dental cells.

16. What’s a hemostatic agent?

Hemostatic agents, when applied to a bleeding wound, create a chemical reaction to slow bleeding and help to form a clot.

17. What do you mean “exothermic” burn in reference to the use of hemostatic agents?

An ‘exothermic’ reaction releases heat, which can injure tissue. Older generation hemostatic agents were found to actually damage tissue as a side effect of the chemical reactions. This is less common with the use of hemostatic dressings.

18. We can use only the hemostatic dressing not the powder on the wound?

That is correct. The 2015 guidelines suggest that hemostatic agent-impregnated dressings have fewer side effects than the early generation granules or powders.

19. If you have been applying direct pressure, do you remove the gauze and then apply the hemostatic gauze directly to the wound, or do you just add the hemostatic gauze on top of the other gauze you already applied?

There is no need to apply a hemostatic dressing if an initial gauze placement is working and bleeding is controlled. If the gauze that was placed initially is not controlling the bleeding (blood soaked and obvious bleeding is continuing), it should be removed and replaced with a hemostatic dressing.
Each manufacturer has individual instructions for use. Typically, the hemostatic dressing is applied directly to the wound, followed by direct pressure. Some manufacturers recommend ‘backing’ the hemostatic dressing with additional gauze, then applying pressure. Once bleeding is controlled, wrap the wound.

20. Do you do two shots of naloxone if at first it doesn’t help or gets worse?

Follow local protocols for repeat naloxone administration. For suspected opioid overdose, remember to provide standard BLS care, activate EMS. First aid responders should follow the dispatcher’s instructions. EMS professionals and healthcare providers should follow medical direction protocols for suspected opioid overdose.

21. How many doses are in one naloxone injector?

Typically, one.

22. Will EMS be selling naloxone trainers? Can it be included if appropriate for the client populations (i.e. training at treatment centers)?

It is unknown at this time.

23. What side do you put a pregnant woman who you cannot ask?

A side-lying position is the recommended recovery position. The guidelines for first aid providers do not specify either side. Generally, the left side is the preferred side for pregnancy-related emergencies to keep the weight of the baby from possibly occluding the mother’s inferior vena cava. Professional responders can determine the best position after taking over care.

24. For concussions – lay providers – not allowed to use eye tracking? Lots of athletic trainers have those pen lights with the sizing chart.

For first aid providers who suspect a concussion, there is not a good evaluation tool. Many times, the symptoms are delayed or progressive; they may be missed. Any suspected concussion should be reported to a medical authority and the person removed from the activity until a professional medical evaluation can be provided.

25. How about the use of Halo and other similar medical packaged occlusive dressings? Probably not recommended for basic first aid responders.

Correct. The use of an occlusive dressing to treat an open chest wound is not recommended for first aid responders. Professional rescuers and healthcare providers should follow local protocols for treatment of open chest wounds.