1. Why is the EMS Safety ChildCare program no longer going to be approved by the California Emergency Medical Services Authority (EMSA)?
The EMSA approval of the EMS Safety ChildCare training program expires May 31, 2019. EMSA regulatory approval requires significant operational demands. With much consideration EMS Safety and Health & Safety Institute (HSI) have decided only to maintain one EMSA approved progam; MEDIC First Aid PediatricPlus CPR, AED, and First Aid for Children, Infants, and Adults (PediatricPlus). PediatricPlus was recently reapproved by EMSA and is valid through August 31, 2020.
2. If an EMS Safety Childcare certification card with EMSA Course Completion Stickers is issued before May 31, 2019, will it be valid for a full two years?
Yes. The EMS Safety Childcare Training Program is currently approved by the California Emergency Medical Services Authority (EMSA). Certification cards with EMSA course completion stickers issued by qualified, currently certified EMS Safety Childcare Instructors prior to May 31, 2019 are valid for the full certification period.
3. If I have extra childcare stickers that I purchased while teaching the EMS Safety program, can they be used with a MEDIC First Aid PediatricPlus certification card now?
Yes, PediatricPlus is a EMSA-approved pediatric first aid and CPR training program. EMSA course completion stickers may be affixed to PediatricPlus certification cards. However, before teaching PediatricPlus or issuing PediatricPlus certification cards with EMSA course completion stickers, qualified, currently certified EMS Safety Childcare Instructors must receive reciprocity as a MEDIC First Aid PediatricPlus Instructor, affiliate with a MEDIC First Aid Training Center (or become one), attest to teach according to the California Regulations for Training Child Care Providers (EMSA requirements) and download the supplementary EMSA document package for PediatricPlus.
4. I bulked up on EMS Safety books and cards before the price increase, what can I do with these supplies?
We encourage you to utilize all of your existing EMS Safety CPR, AED and First Aid for Childcare Providers student workbooks and card up until May 31, 2019. If you still have materials after, please reach out to your EMS Safety Account Executive to discuss alternative options.
5. Can I use EMS books and DVD’s to issue MEDIC First Aid Cards?
Unfortunately, no. You cannot issue MEDIC First Aid certification cards when teaching from EMS Safety training program materials, just as you cannot issue EMS Safety certification cards when using MEDIC First Aid training program materials. While the training programs are both EMSA approved and the EMSA course completion stickers can be adhered to either certification card, the certification cards themselves are not interchangeable.
6. Who do I contact in the future if I have questions regarding EMSA or MEDIC First Aid PediatricsPlus program?
You can contact your EMS Safety account executive to learn more about how to transition from the EMS Safety Childcare Training Program to PedatricPlus. If you have regulatory related questions about EMSA and PediatricPlus, you may contact HSI’s Regulatory Approval Manager.
7. I just purchased the EMS Safety Childcare kit, I don’t want to purchase another training program. What are my options?
You can contact your EMS Safety account executive to learn more about the transition from the EMS Safety Childcare Training Program to PedatricPlus. There are various options depending on when you purchased your EMS Safety Childcare kit. Contact your Account Exccutive to learn more.
8. Do I have to switch over to MEDIC First Aid if I want to teach and certify Childcare Providers in California?
After May 31, 2019, yes. EMS Safety will not be submitting the Childcare Training Program for reapproval by EMSA. As EMSA regulatory approval requires significant operational demands, HSI will only maintain one EMSA approved program; PediatricPlus. If you wish to continuing teaching and certifying child care providers, instructors will need to be authorized as PediatricPlus Instructor and be affiliated with a MEDIC First Aid approved training center.
9. What will be the cost of the MEDIC First Aid PediatricPlus student materials if I decided to transition?
Contact your EMS Safety Account Executive for special pricing on the MEDIC First Aid PediatricPlus program package.
10. Will my current discount tier apply to MEDIC First Aid PediatricPlus student materials?
In order to ensure as seamless of a transition as possible we will be setting up your MEDIC First Aid Training Center account with your current EMS Safety pricing for PediatricPlus student books and cards.
11. The PediatricPlus traininng materials are quite a bit more than the EMS Childcare program. Is EMS Safety/HSI going to honor the EMS Safety Childcare student materials cost?
Yes, in order to ensure as seamless of a transition as possible, we will be setting up your MEDIC First Aid Training Center account with your current EMS Safety pricing for PediatricPlus student books and cards.
12. Can I order my MEDIC First Aid PediatricPlus student materials and certification cards through my EMS Safety Instructor Portal or my EMS Safety Account Executive?
Unfortunately, not at this time. You will need to utilized the MEDIC First Aid online store or contact (800) 447-3177 to order any ongoing materials for your MEDIC First Aid Training Center. You can continue to use the EMS Safety Instructor Portal or Account Executive for all other training needs and products.
13. What is the general process to get started – how complicated is it?
Your EMS Safety Account Executive can send you a link to start the MEDIC First Aid Training Center Application process. Each Instructor must affiliate with an MEDIC First Aid approved Training Center. A Training Center does not have to be a store front or a company. A Training Center may be a small business owned by an individual who runs its day-to-day operations and provides instruction on a fee-for-service basis, or a Training Center may be a large corporation, organization, or government agency that provides in-house training for its employees. Getting started is pretty easy:
- Apply for a Training Center (TC). Each TC must have at least one qualified, authorized instructor affiliated with it.
- Obtain the MEDIC First Aid PediatricPlus Program Package (DVD, Instructor Guide and sample student book)
- Attest to comply with the EMSA regulations via your HSI/MEDIC First Aid Training Center Manager portal. This ensures that your Training Center and affiliated instructors are approved as an HSI affiliate program under EMSA regulations.
- Download the EMSA Supplemental Curriculum Document Package and distribute it to all instructors.
- Review and familiarize all instructors with the PediatricPlus Instructor Guide and program materials.
- Start teaching the PediatricPlus program to Childcare providers.