Summer power outages can quickly become dangerous due to extreme heat conditions, medication interruption and food spoilage. Here are some smart ways to prepare for summer power outages.
- Create an emergency preparedness kit that includes a first aid kit, flashlights, extra batteries, non-perishable foods and water.
- Make plans for refrigerating medicines or using power-dependent medical devices.
- Plan for safe food storage and keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed.
- Use a generator outdoors and at least 20 feet away from windows.
- Disconnect appliances and electronics to prevent damages from + power surges.
- Contact local officials to find cooling locations near you.
Check out the HSI Emergency Care blog for more information about preparing for summer power outages.