There’s no cure for asthma. But it can be managed by avoiding triggers, preventing symptoms with asthma medications and knowing what to do during an asthma attack.
To use an inhaler without a spacer:
- Shake the inhaler hard 10-15 times before each use.
- Have the person breathe out all the way.
- Have them place the mouthpiece between their teeth and close their lips around it to make a tight seal. As they slowly breathe in, press down on the inhaler one time, and have them keep breathing in slowly and deeply.
- Have them take the inhaler out of their mouth and hold their breath for a slow count of ten, if they’re able to.
- Have them pucker their lips and breathe out slowly through their mouth.
- If more than one dose is needed, repeat step 1-5. Replace the cap when done.
Check out the HSI Emergency Care blog for more information about responding to an asthma attack.