With its pleasant smell, having a real tree in your home during the holiday sets the stage for the season. However, there is a danger in having a real tree: FIRE! As seen in the video below, a Christmas tree can go up in flames in a matter of seconds.
Here are 5 Christmas tree safety tips on how to make your home safe during the holiday season.
Christmas Tree Safety Tip 1
- Choose the freshest tree you can find. Touch the needles and make sure they do not fall off.
Christmas Tree Safety Tip 2
- When placing the tree in your home, make sure that it is far enough away from heat sources, such as fireplaces, candles, heaters and more. The National Fire Protection Association recommends at least 3 feet away.
Christmas Tree Safety Tip 3
- Water your tree daily. When watering your tree, make sure to inspect it for dryness.
Christmas Tree Safety Tip 4
- Use proper lighting for your tree. Inspect all strands of lights for broken bulbs or broken cords. Use only as recommended by the manufacturer. Turn off your Christmas tree lights when you are not home or while you are sleeping.
Christmas Tree Safety Tip 5
- When your tree starts dropping needles, it is drying out. Get rid of dried-out trees. Be sure to check with your local community to recycle your tree.